WORLD PHARMACIST DAYSeptember 25, 2020
Pharmacists are the best advisory’s that help with medication, be there during an emergency and many other reasons. As we celebrate World Pharmacist day, 25 September, it is important to remind ourselves why we need pharmacists, their importance and to appreciate them for the hard work they have put in during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The theme this year for World Pharmacist Day is “transforming global health”. This theme serves as a reminder that the COVID-19 pandemic changed the world’s mindset physically and mentally. There are medications that are now being used that were never really known before. This opened an employment opportunity for young/ assistant pharmacists to learn and experience what they did not in medical school. The advent of the COVID-19 pandemic provided an opportunity for old and new pharmacists to educate themselves on new medical improvements, advertising and healthy living.
alison.com highlights the top five reasons why pharmacists are important.
- Pharmacists guide you on how to take medication, also inform you on things that will not be on the small piece of paper inside the medication.
- Pharmacists refer you to a doctor that will help you since they are connected to doctors and specialists in the field.
- Pharmacists give patient in depth advise on healthy lifestyle choices. They also mentor on mental health, stress management, and sometimes a referral if they cannot help you.
- Pharmacist assist in times of emergency when the hospital/clinic is not an option.
- Pharmacists empower patients. Most of the time they are the first to help patient in emergencies. Pharmacists help patients help themselves, and motivate them and teach theme where they can.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, pharmacies where the go-to place for many South Africans and people around the world. With doctor practices closed, pharmacies were declared essential and remained open. During this time, pharmacies developed new ways of advertising, new medication and new methods of treatment where applicable.2020 as proved that all medical departments are of importance and a new appreciation for pharmacists shone through. Pharmacists played a role of being a doctor, medical advisor and a pharmacist.
Pharmacist should be celebrated because they are regarded as heroes. For many, after a doctor’s appointment, it’s a visit to the pharmacy. There is a new appreciation for pharmacists around the world, and that appreciation must continue post-COVID.