BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTHOctober 1, 2020
October is breast cancer Awareness month. Usually during the month of October, people hold peaceful marches wearing pink t-shirts, social media campaigns are launched, and funds are raised for both breast cancer and other types of cancer as well. Since Covid 19 the world how we know it has changed and we can no longer host mass gatherings.
Early detection is vital….
Breast cancer is cancer cells that form in the breasts. Breast cancer can start by forming a hard lump in the breast, bloody discharge from the nipple and changes on the nipple or breast. There are treatments for breast cancer, and these can include surgery where the tumor is removed and many other options.
For every disease or condition there are bound to be some symptoms or signs that would prompt testing. The common symptoms for breast cancer are:
- Hard lump in the breast or under the armpit
- Thickening or swelling on part of the breast
- Irritation or flaky skin on the nipple of the breast
- Nipple discharge which could also be bloody,
The above mentioned are the most common symptoms and could develop should you have breast cancer. It is vital to make an appointment with your doctor for a test and be safe. Risk factors increase chances of breast cancer, and these include:
- Not being physically active. Women who are not physically active have a higher risk of getting breast cancer.
- Being overweight or obese after menopause. …
- Taking hormones. …
- Reproductive history. …
- Drinking alcohol.
If you suspect that you have breast cancer, testing is vital to prevent the spread of the cancer cells which could result in a very sickly patient. If detected early, breast cancer can be treated. Treatment options are mainly based on the stage of the cancer. These are treatment options, for usually stages one to three:
- Surgery. An operation where doctors cut out cancer tissue.
- Chemotherapy. Using special medicines to shrink or kill the cancer cells. …
- Hormonal therapy. Blocks cancer cells from getting the hormones they need to grow.
- Biological therapy, uses portions of the body’s natural immune system to treat the disease.
- Radiation therapy, uses beams of intense energy to kill cancer cells
At stage four, the cancer has spread throughout the body and usually treatments listed above are tried to reduce the spread, but the body is tired at this stage. However, there still are chances of survival at stage four, if the body is strong enough to fight the cancer.
Therefore, early detection is vital. When any type of cancer is detected early, treatment starts immediately and the cancer cells can be killed and the patient cured. It is also vital to stay away from any risk factors that could lead to cancer.
VISIT OUR SOCIAL MEDIA DAILY TO SEE WHAT WE ARE DOING FOR BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
FACEBOOK: @sparkport pharmacies
INSTAGRAM : @sparkport_pharmacies